Summer is right around the corner, and with warmer weather comes many chances to get moving. Exercise not only has many health benefits, it can be a great way to spend time with your family. These free exercise programs in Lynchburg are sure to get you moving!
Walk the Trails
Lynchburg is home to miles and miles of trails that are perfect for getting active! The Blackwater Creek Trail System is a great way to spend afternoons walking or running! Some of the trail highlights include:
- Hollins Mill Park– This park is great place to start and end your activity. Take time to sit and listen to the waterfall!
- Point of Honor Trail- This trail section is a 1.5 mile spur off of the Blackwater Creek Trail, traveling past the historic Point of Honor home before connecting to the entrance of RiverWalk and back to the eastern end of the Blackwater Creek Trail.
- Percival’s Island– Explore remnants of a forgotten railroad track as you walk on this flat, paved section of trail. Walk far enough and you may be able to cross a few railroad bridges!
View a full map of the trails here.
Weekly Fun Runs
If walking isn’t fast enough for you, start running! Every week, Riverside Runners and the Lynchburg Road Runners Club hosts a fun run, free of charge! These events are a great place to meet new people and stay motivated as you begin your running journey. All ages, paces, and abilities are welcome!
Runs usually start at Riverside Runners (2480 Rivermont Ave) and are done on an out-and-back course so you can run as little or as far as you like. Be sure to check their Facebook page to see if there are any changes for the week.
Yoga in the Park
Each Saturday in May, Yoga Goodness is offering free yoga classes at Riverside Park! These classes start at 8:30 a.m. and require no previous yoga experience. Yogis of all ages and experience levels are invited to participate. The only requirement is that you bring your own yoga mat. Don’t have a mat? Don’t worry, a large towel will work.
Be sure to watch their Facebook Events page, as they also offer free classes on the first Sunday of each month.
Explore the City
Classes and organized runs not your preferred method of exercise? There are plenty of ways to explore the city while still getting fit! Consider one of these activities:
- Climb the steps at Monument Terrace- These steps are a workout on their own, but there are things you can do to up the burn! Do a squat for every step, stop and do push-ups on the landings or even try to climb them backwards!
- Walk around your neighborhood- Have you ever stopped to explore your own street? Take some time to go for a walk and take in the sights and sounds of your neighborhood. Brisk walking has been shown to not only help control weight, but improve your mood as well.
- Ride a bike- Bike riding is a great way to work in some cardio while improving your posture and overall fitness. Take your bike to the trails and explore!
Consult Your Doctor
Before beginning a new exercise routine, you should consult your doctor, especially if:
- You have heart disease
- You have asthma or lung disease
- You have type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- You have kidney disease
- You have arthritis
- You’re being treated for cancer, or you have recently completed cancer treatment
If you want to discuss exercise, changes in your diet or anything else with one of our doctors or staff, book an appointment or just walk in! We are always happy to see you.